My English paper got me thinking.

almanakka

Asiantuntija
Reaktioarvo
I wrote out my thoughts on my notes app and wanted to share them somewhere, and Varasija was what I thought of. When my paper is done, I'll finally get my 5 credits from the course! Anyway:

I'm writing a paper about celebrity worship and why idolizing famous people is not the most productive and healthy habit to have. I was looking for inspiration, so I went to read a Reddit thread about people's "Never meet your idols" stories. Coincidentally, one of the top comments was about the fronter of a band that I have been really getting into over the past few months. In addition to knowing most of their music, I have read the singer's autobiography and another non-fiction book about the band, so I guess I could call myself quite a fan. I did not read the story thoroughly because I didn't want to know too much about what happened, but I got the impression that it was rather a humorous encounter than a purely negative one. The coincidence of seeing the name of someone who I was just watching perform on YouTube in the thread hit me more than the story itself probably would have.

But why did it make my stomach turn? Am I a celebrity worshipper myself? Maybe, to a certain extent. But now I know that my final paragraph is going to be about too much information affecting the enjoyment of art. I have already written that celebrities as persons should be separated from their work, and the main focus should be on what they create instead. The Reddit story did not ruin the singer or the band for me, but after reading some of the other stories I could see that bad encounters can potentially lead to associating music, film, etc. with that negative experience and therefore not being able to enjoy it in the same way anymore.

Celebrities are human beings too and should not be received as people above everyone else who cannot make mistakes or have bad days. Aside from things about mental health and parasocial relationships in my paper, I think "The less you know the better" is another main point that I am trying to make.

Viimeksi muokattu:

Tanssivapina

Asiantuntija
Reaktioarvo
I'm deliberately avoiding reading till many interviews from my favourite band, because I once read interview that got my blood boiling... I mean the interview was from 1999 so the views of those people had changed a lot... But for a while everytime I listened their music, that stupid interview popped in my head and got me so annoyed! So the less I know about their opinions, the more I can enjoy the art!

Ylös Pohja